Thursday, December 6, 2012

Of New Beginnings!

Jennifer and I just returned from a visit to Nigeria were we attended the burial ceremony of my father Cyril. It was indeed a glorious celebration of life. At 90, my father lived a full life (if there is anything like that). And so his funeral was occasion for a joyful Anglican Church service, attended by a congregation of more than 700, followed by a post burial fanfare of cultural dances.

Gone is this great man who gave me life. Watching his shinny-golden casket brought a flash of memories and images of the wonderful father he was to me. Gosh! Could I but be a fraction of what he was to me to my sons! Like I could hear him celebrating in the words of Paul to his 'son' Timothy-"...the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fit. I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me a crown of righteousness..." (2 Tim. 4:7-8).

That is my message here. The sweet paradox of death in the Christian faith is that it opens the doors of new beginnings. For my father, your loved ones and all the faithful s who die in The Lord, the door of endless life in eternity with Christ is opened. Survivors on their part are faced with new realities- gaps to be filled, new responsibilities, readjustments in family dynamics, and so on.

We realize that we deny ourselves the benefits of the opportunities presented by these new beginnings when we hang unto and fail to let go of what is passing. The season of advent not only marks the beginning of the church year, it's message of Hope, Joy, Love and Peace remind us of the promise of a new Messianic order.

As a generation, we live in an era of massive institutional and corporate failings and disappointment. Though painful, our challenges are fresh opportunities of grace. They underscore the beauty of our faith. Christ incorporated us heirs of His kingdom through His atoning death and glorious resurrection. Through His death, we have hope of new and everlasting life with Him-hope of a new beginning. Lo,He Comes

No comments:

Post a Comment